Are you saying essentially the same things as your competition? If so, your prospects have no way to tell you apart, and so default to buying solely on the basis of price. In our experience, we find that those companies that make a solid, evidence- filled case for their product win the lion’s share of business - even if their prices are a bit higher!
- Businesses must create a UNIQUE MESSAGE and communicate it to their target market.
- The message must DIFFERENTIATE you from your competition in a meaningful way and tell the prospect “buy this and get this benefit”.
- The message must be COMPELLING and move your prospect to take action.
Rosser Reeves, advertising icon and head of the agency where I cut my teeth, developed the concept of the Unique Selling Proposition in 1960 and it still works today - especially for small businesses that don't have multimillion dollar ad budgets. Reeves steadfastly believed that once you develop a compelling message that differentiates your product from the rest, you can use that message as the basis of your marketing and advertising for many years to come. To illustrate this, let’s take a look at three messages created by Reeves 40 to 60 years ago:
- · “M&Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hands”
- · “How do you spell relief? R-O-L-A-I-D-S!”
- · “Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies in eight ways”
How many of your local businesses can you think of that have been using the same basic message for years? Now, go find your own USP message that will differentiate you from your competition in the eyes of your customers.